Burnt's blog thing

Saturday, June 24, 2006

Baseball

Okay, may as well say it right here and get it outta the way- I don't like baseball. Much as I liked the Pirates and Willie Stargell as a kid, I lost the taste for it over the years. Don't like American rules football, either- too much wussy padding. The only things I'll watch on occasion, usually with a beer in hand, are English rules football (try to never miss the English/Irish game) and a rare rugby ruck. Please feel free to jump all over my case about my lack of sports patriotism.

Well, finished the del.ici.ous links, still have the Connotea, installed Nvu (waaahh, I want my Composer ;-) ), and created my first Zoom Cloud. My biggest problem wasn't finding things, but finding things that 500 other people hadn't posted. Yet another instance, I guess of great minds postulating similar hypotheses ;-) Goin' pretty well, though.

House settlement is Tuesday, so I've been trying to balance that, job, and homework. Success rate's a little low on thatend at the moment. Kack.

Anywho, discovered an interesting thing with our current digital vendor a couple weeks back. Asked for the access files in JPEG 2000, partially because we wanted to play with the new format and dm has built in view support (so they say- haven't tested it yet). A lot of people use it for maps, because you can zoom in and blow a mountain up as big as yer head. But what we discovered was that, although it would seem like the perfect thing to use on 3 foot long newspapers (yes, we are digitizing them, no we are NOT pitching them), it isn't. We haven't quite figured out what happened yet, but instead of being 80 percent smaller, the dang things went from 10 MB TIFFs to 25 MB JPEG 2000. Actually crashed my boss's PC trying to open one (har, opened fine on MY PC...) Only thing we can figure is that size and small font, close packed lettering mean large size explosion. Just passing on findings- surprised the snot outta me, and I've been championing the 2000 cause...

Well, back it it. No amusing links this go round- seems I've already used most of 'em ;-). Taptcha, in one format or another, later

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home