Burnt's blog thing

Thursday, January 15, 2009

SWEMIman

So, in today's weekly session on RDA, our head of cataloging introduced WEMI (Work, Expression, Manifestation and Item) as a mnemonic to remember the FRBR levels. Having spent so long working with FRBR for Serials, I, of course, added Super-record, making the much more entertaining SWEMI (swee-mee).

Now, I've got a long ride home, where I think of many strange things... such as would it be possible to implement FRBR for Serials in a CONTENTdm database (Answer: Yes. Yes it is, and I will show you how in my next article, in case you really give a crap). Out of today's drive, I introduce:

SWEMIman

With great power comes great Responsibility...
I Will Not Use My Cataloging Powers For EVIL!

Day to day, mild-mannered PN Biblos sits in the broom closet the library Administration has given him as an office. But when he hears the cry of a frustrated patron who can't find a resource, he ducks into an aisle in the closed stacks, emerging as SWEMIman, the Patron Protector...

Sorry, my copy of Photoshop's down, or I'd give you a pic, too- maybe tomorrow or this weekend (but think Dr. Strange in a red tunic...)

7 Comments:

At 6:54 PM, Blogger Katie said...

Brilliant! You should do a comic series!

 
At 3:10 AM, Blogger Burntdisk said...

Alas, that talent I don't have... Plan on using him in presentations, though...

 
At 5:51 AM, Blogger Just another Sample said...

Oh my...

I'm not sure it's healthy thinking of such things while driving. You, my friend, are a library superpower. The U.S. of librarians. Go forth information soldier and pave the way for organization.

 
At 6:13 AM, Blogger Burntdisk said...

Thanks. As I've said for years. I WILL eventually make them do it my way, 'cause that's the right way to do it...

 
At 1:47 PM, Blogger Mark said...

That would be great in a presentation! He'll need an arch enemy . . . maybe a sidekick . . . FRADboy or something . . . but they shouldn't hang out in the same broom closet . . .

 
At 7:55 PM, Blogger Just another Sample said...

Yeah, they shouldn't be closeted.

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger Burntdisk said...

We could always use the Shusher as the Arch enemy. With his love interest FurSAR, and his young ward, Brad Frad... This might work...

And no, I have no interest in recreating the dynamic from the 60s Batman...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home