Burnt's blog thing

Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Another event to "commemorate"

The less known Bloody Sunday happened today. Here's the Britannica synopsis:

"Notably, on “Bloody Sunday,” November 21, 1920, the IRA murdered 11 Englishmen suspected of being intelligence agents; and the Black and Tans took revenge the same afternoon, attacking spectators at a Gaelic football match in Croke Park, Dublin, killing 12 and wounding 60."

Unlike the even more widely hated RUCs (Royal Ulster Constabulary), who are basically a paramilitary terrorist group, the Black and Tans were jobless ex-military guys enlisted when the Irish police force mostly resigned in response to the Troubles. The name comes from the uniforms they were issued, as police uniforms were in short supply.

See my post on the Armagh Sniper for my solution to this issue.

2 Comments:

At 4:32 PM, Blogger Just another Sample said...

Oh, come out you black and tans,
Come out and fight me like a man
Show your wives how you won medals down in Flanders
Tell them how the IRA made you run like hell away,
From the green and lovely lanes in Killashandra.

 
At 1:40 AM, Blogger Burntdisk said...

All through the days of hunger strike I watched my comrades die
And in the streets of Belfast you could hear the women cry
I can't forget the massacre that Friday at Loughgall
I salute my fallen comrades as I watch the choppers fall

Tiocfaidh ár lá, sing up the 'RA
SAM missiles in the sky

 

Post a Comment

<< Home